Wednesday 27 April 2011

Ladies and Gentlemen of Verona....

....I'm ridiculously pleased to have made your acquaintance. All those little Vicolos just begging to be walked around. I suppose it's a combination of via and piccolo. Very clever and mightily apt. Much to everyone's surprise, Verona was attained. It should have been 157 km but instead, thanks to the Brescian triangle, it was 198 km. If you fancy a laugh, I'll show you the Garmin map imaging. It 'll make your eyes water.
Anyway, judging from the number of lorries on the road, at least 1 in 4 vehicles was a lorry, the northern Italians are an astonishingly industrious lot. The strange thing is that it doesn't matter what road you are on. By far the most popular sign is 'Zona Industriale'. There is no escape. You are far better off on the main roads which, at least, have a shoulder to write home about. Having said that, the roads are a dream, the smoothest tarmac and, provided you're not lost, really quite easy to navigate. Once lost, however, is a completely different matter. Even armed with a compass and map (and I'm no slouch when it comes to maps), you simply will not find your way back unless by chance. After one misadventure too many, I simply backtracked and the road that had brought me there had gone. Vanished, kaput or, as the Pythons would have it, joined the choir invisible.
Anyway, there's a reasonable chance that Venice will be attained tomorrow. That, my friends is a good thing. What with it being Thursday. That means a little breathing space plus the possibility of another day off. Woohoo! I'm going to let the winds decide for me. For now, it is a very well earned bedtime. Sweet dreams!

No comments: