Sunday 17 April 2011

Allez La Meuse!

Let's start at the beginning shall we. In the beginning there was birdsong. You stay in a forest and the chances are good that you'll leave accompanied by the trilling of a lot of birds. Not a bad way to start. This was quickly followed by the surprise that was Belgium. I certainly wasn't expecting it. To paraphrase the Pythons, nobody expects Belgium. Birdsong! Belgium! Whatever next?!?Anyway, before I knew what had hit me, and literally just around the corner, France welcomed me back. And as the road led to Rocroi, one wondered whether this King's rock was there to stop the rampaging Belgian hordes. Difficult to imagine, I know, although I expect there'll be beards. However, fans of ancient literature will remember the classic 'Asterix and the Belgians', or possibly, 'Asterix in Belgium'. It was all so very long ago. In this masterpiece, you'll recall that the Gauls fought the Belgians before they banded together to, how shall I put this, 'give it' to those dastardly Romans (that'll go down well at work). So here we are in Rocroi (there may or may not be a video at the bottom) sitting in a town square which seems to have been airlifted into a fortification. I kid you not. Imagine Beaumaris (and if you can't, find someone who can) with a town in the middle of it. All very pleasant indeed. And so to the Meuse, Precious' altimeter had steadily risen to 380 metres (not for nothing are forts built on hills) and the Meuse was a mere 10 km away. This meant that it was all downhill from here. Indeed it was, and then some. I urge you all to applaud Les Officiels Publiques de Belgique et de La Region Ardennes. The Voie Verte de l'Ardennes (I think)) runs from Givet in Belgium to the outskirts of Charleville Mezieres. If I'd known it existed I'd have started in Dunquerque. In a word it is sumptuous. Those with long memories can forget the bicycle path alngside the Columbia River, sensational as it was. This path runs a very long way indeed, following the meanders of the Meuse without breaking stride. I would urge you to do so at least once or twice. The Meuse cuts its way through the Ardennes leaving behind a valley with exceedingly well forested slopes. Sadly, it is precisely the kind of public work which the UK sadly lacks and will continue to do so. Not many votes in improving access to nature's treasures for the benefit of the public. Damn Nimbyism (yes Narrow Street, I'm talking to you!) and the boat that brought it in (that'll be the tories of the late 80's). More about that when I get to the Guerres de Monde tomorrow, where I shall attempt to explain where the blitz spirit has gone. Or not. Finally, if you ever find yourself in this part of the world and you see Ardennaise on the menu, expect bacon.

No comments: