Saturday 16 April 2011

Fourmies, Non! Foret, Oui!

Calais Frethun to Nouvelles Gouyarde 135.58 km Nouvelles Gouyarde to Fourmies 106.01 km Fourmies is a town in France. It has all the usual amenities that one expects to find in towns all over the world. However, that appears to be all it has to offer. One will go so far as to say that it's probably seen better days. Not once did it cross my mind to stop there. However, jusy outside the town is a forest. I don't know if there is anything special about it. It may be the home of the Robin Hood de Fourmies for all I know. As with all forests, there is an abundance of trees and those who know me best will know that I have a soft spot for them. No particular reason, I just think that on the whole they're largely harmless and have a certain pleasing geometry. Not to mention the colour scheme. So here I am, lying here now on a hotel bed in the middle of the forest. As I look east out of the window, the trees are broken only by two lakes (possibly man made) and the final rays of a setting sun. So, all is well here then. It is a Saturday night and I can assure you that no carousing will be taking place within four miles of here. That, I am positive, will be limited to Fourmies. The flatness of canals are but a distant memory, as the usual up and down and up and down and up and down of the countryside have taken root. Cycling is obviously a much more popular pastime here than at home and it is not hard to see why, it ia la plus belle way to spend a sunny (on yes) Saturday afternoon although one must be careful to pay attention else one might crash (oh yes). Don't worry though, Precious is fine and as soon as this cast comes off, we'll carry on. A bientot.

No comments: